[ejabberd] backup, restore and presence

Kris Matthews krism at evilpen.net
Sat May 26 00:46:40 MSK 2012

I am able to setup an ejabberd server and communicate with google talk
users without issue. However, when I backup and restore to a new server,
google talk users do not have authorization to see me - they have to
either rerequest authorization (using pidgin) or remove and re-add me to
their lists in order to be able to see me online.

I backup using
# ejabberdctl backup foobar.bak

and restore using
# ejabberdctl restore foobar.bak

It seems like all data is backed up and restored successfully - I do not
have to recreate my users or roster or anything, just that other people
cannot see me online when I do this.

I know I am doing something wrong, or misunderstanding how presence
notification works. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks,
Kris