[ejabberd] Unexpected <instructions> element in MUC query response

Sreeni Nair sreeni.nair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:25:18 MSK 2012

Hi,

I am trying to test one of our in-house developed XMPP clients against
ejabberd, and in the process, hitting an error while testing the MUC
feature. When the client queries thus:

<iq xmlns="jabber:client" from="
sreeni at ejabberd-demo.xyz.com/7682936991349980978997155" id="14" to="
0fde3abe8aaa7b19 at conference.ejabberd-demo.xyz.com" type="get">
  <query xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner"></query>
</iq>

the expected response from the server should be of the form (ref::
http://xmpp.org/schemas/muc-owner.xsd):

<xs:element name="query">
    <xs:complexType>
      <xs:choice minOccurs="0">
        <xs:element ref="xdata:x"/>
        <xs:element ref="destroy"/>
      </xs:choice>
    </xs:complexType>
</xs:element>

But what I am actually getting is given in the trace below:

<iq from='0fde3abe8aaa7b19 at conference.ejabberd-demo.xyz.com' to='
sreeni at ejabberd-demo.xyz.com/7682936991349980978997155' id='14'
type='result'>
  <query xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#owner'>
    <instructions>You need an x:data capable client to configure
room</instructions>
    <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='form'>
      <title>Configuration of room
0fde3abe8aaa7b19 at conference.ejabberd-demo.xyz.com</title>
      <field type='hidden' var='FORM_TYPE'>
        <value>http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#roomconfig</value>
      </field>
      <field type='text-single' label='Room title'
var='muc#roomconfig_roomname'>
        <value></value>
[snip]
    </x>
  </query>
</iq>

The element <instructions> is clearly not expected. I don't know whether
this was discussed in the forum before, as I could not find it through a
search. If not, wouldn't this qualify as a bug in ejabberd?

Best Regards,
SN

--
"Reality is frequently inaccurate."