[ejabberd] Ejabberd (server-side) setup for "Hello World" program

Ajay Garg ajaygargnsit at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 18:06:39 MSK 2013

First of all, a big thanks to Anurag for helping me  out figuring out
the basics of ejabberd server :)

Following his advice, I followed these steps (on Fedora-17)::

a)
"sudo yum install ejabberd"

b)
"sudo ejabberdctl start"

c)
"sudo ejabberdctl status"

This shows

####
The node ejabberd at localhost is started with status: started
ejabberd 2.1.11 is running in that node
####

So, we are fine in getting ejabberd started :)

d)
Next, I did "sudo yum  install gajim"

e)
I launched gajim, and did

"Edit" -> "Accounts" -> "Add" -> "I want to register for a new
account" -> "Enter server" -> localhost

                                    "Username"   -> lion

                                    "Password"    -> ****

f)
Thereafter, doing "sudo ejabberdctl registered_users localhost" shows

###
lion
###

So, the first user-account got added successfully :)

g)
Again, I did

"Edit" -> "Accounts" -> "Add" -> "I want to register for a new
account" -> "Enter server" -> 127.0.0.1

However, before I could get the Username/Password dialog, I got the error ::

###
the value of the 'to' attribute provided by the initiating entity in
the stream header does not correspond to a hostname that is hosted
by the server.
###

h)
I then edited my "/etc/hosts", to have an additional line ::

127.0.0.1               localhost.localdomain mazaq.org

i)
"sudo service network restart"

j)
"ping mazaq.org" showed that I could ping the localhost

k)
Again, I did

"Edit" -> "Accounts" -> "Add" -> "I want to register for a new
account" -> "Enter server" -> mazaq.org

AGAIN, BEFORE I COULD GET THE USERNAME?PASSWORD DIALOG, I got the error ::

###
the value of the 'to' attribute provided by the initiating entity in
the stream header does not correspond to a hostname that is hosted
by the server.
###

Any ideas why things won't work for anything other than "localhost"?

As can be seen, things not working with IP-Address and
DNS-names-other-than-"localhost", will make it impossible to have
accounts added
from remote machines.

I will be grateful for any help.

--