[ejabberd] ejabberd 2.1.10 / erlang 15.b.1 just hangs and eats lots of RAM

Thorsten Glaser t.glaser at tarent.de
Wed Jan 23 13:25:12 MSK 2013

Hi,

we’ve upgraded our jabber server from Debian lenny (with
a backport of squeeze’s erlang and ejabberd in order to
be able to use mod-shared-roster-ldap) to wheezy on Monday
and have since been experiencing problems with it:

After some runtime, ejabberd just seems to hand. It also
uses up all CPU on one core (trying beam.smp seems to make
it hang after just half an hour, without SMP it takes much
longer). Memory usage as shown by top can go up to 1.6 GiB,
and once we’ve even seen 2.6 GiB.

The init script sometimes pretends ejabberd isn’t running,
when asking it to stop it once it did hang up.

I’ve already contacted the Debian packagers, but maybe someone
here has got a quick idea what we can do to debug and possibly
fix this. That would be very welcome. (Otherwise I guess I can
try to revert to squeeze’s versions of these packages, to keep
my coworkers… well, to not make them even more unhappy…) We had
been using ejabberd 2.1.5 (slightly patched) and erlang 12.b.3
before.

Thanks in advance,
//mirabilos
--