[ejabberd] ejabberd 2.1.10 / erlang 15.b.1 just hangs and eats lots of RAM

-=Devil_InSide=- devil_inside at mail.ru
Thu Jan 24 10:01:01 MSK 2013

we had high use of memory, when history (mod_archive) has been kept in memory and disk.
appoximately 5Gb for one node.
we did turn off keeping these tables in memory and stay it in disk.
now ejabberd eat ~1Gb per node.
ejabberd 2.1.10, redhat 5/6
i don't remember, how much memory it did eat on version 2.1.5-2.1.7 in the beginning.
we use mod_shared_roster_ldap for ~1k users, online users now 340.
rosters keeps in memory and disk.
may be, if we'll turn off keeping it in memory - using memory will be smaller, but we have enough memory now.

,-------------[Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 10:25 +0100, Thorsten Glaser:]
|Hi,
|
|we’ve upgraded our jabber server from Debian lenny (with
|a backport of squeeze’s erlang and ejabberd in order to
|be able to use mod-shared-roster-ldap) to wheezy on Monday
|and have since been experiencing problems with it:
|
|After some runtime, ejabberd just seems to hand. It also
|uses up all CPU on one core (trying beam.smp seems to make
|it hang after just half an hour, without SMP it takes much
|longer). Memory usage as shown by top can go up to 1.6 GiB,
|and once we’ve even seen 2.6 GiB.
|
|The init script sometimes pretends ejabberd isn’t running,
|when asking it to stop it once it did hang up.
|
|I’ve already contacted the Debian packagers, but maybe someone
|here has got a quick idea what we can do to debug and possibly
|fix this. That would be very welcome. (Otherwise I guess I can
|try to revert to squeeze’s versions of these packages, to keep
|my coworkers… well, to not make them even more unhappy…) We had
|been using ejabberd 2.1.5 (slightly patched) and erlang 12.b.3
|before.
|
|Thanks in advance,
|//mirabilos
|--
|tarent solutions GmbH
|Rochusstraße 2-4, D-53123 Bonn • http://www.tarent.de/
|Tel: +49 228 54881-393 • Fax: +49 228 54881-314
|HRB 5168 (AG Bonn) • USt-ID (VAT): DE122264941
|Geschäftsführer: Boris Esser, Sebastian Mancke
|ejabberd mailing list
|ejabberd at jabber.ru

mpd status:	[playing]
Black Sabbath - Wasp