[ejabberd] <iq> balancing

Vincent Barat vbarat at capptain.com
Fri Jan 25 20:51:26 MSK 2013

Hi everybody,

eJabberd documentation says that an <iq> coming to a node is served
by a local service component (if any) with the default configuration :

"The default distribution algorithm try to deliver to a local
instance of a component. If several local instances are available,
one instance is chosen randomly. If no instance is available
locally, one instance is chosen randomly among the remote component
instances."

I experience a different behavior: 1 got a 4 nodes cluster, each
node running the same service component, each node having an
incoming s2s connexion, and each s2s connection sending the same nb
of iqs.

In that configuration, even if a node has 0 incoming s2s connection,
it handles some iq, an the nb of iq processed per node is clearly
not correctly balanced.

Any idea to load balance correctly my iqs ?

Thanks a lot