[ejabberd] Ejabberd node migration issue

Alessandro Malgaroli alex at bluendo.com
Wed Jan 30 19:58:56 MSK 2013

Hi all.

We have an installation of an ejabberd 2.1.6 on a machine and we're
upgrading servers (phisical different server with different hostname).
We tried the procedure described here
(https://git.process-one.net/ejabberd/mainline/blobs/raw/v2.1.11/doc/guide.html#htoc79)
for mnesia migration, with no success.
When issuing the mnesia_change_nodename command we always end up with
the following error:

Error: {"Backup traversal failed",enoent}

We couldn't make this work neither using the same binaries copied from
the old machine to the new (both are ubuntu linux 64bit, the new one has
a newer release - 12.04LTS the old one IIRC was a 10.04), nor installing
from scratch newer ejabberd versions (2.1.8 and 2.1.11).

No clusters are involved.

In the end we just copied the old installation to the new machine and
started it. It works, but we have to kill it manually as ejabberdctl
gives a "nodedown" message when stopping the instance.

Any idea on how we could get rid of this problem?

Thanks

--
-----
Alessandro Malgaroli