[ejabberd] s2s connection problems with gmail.com

Vineet Naik naikvin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 21:44:18 MSK 2013

Thank you so much for replying. The link to the operators mailing
list is really helpful and I will post the question there asap.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2013 at 9:47 PM, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>wrote:

> On 3/6/13 6:57 AM, Vineet Naik wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> Hi. First, your problem is probably *not* an ejabberd problem.
>
> > We have a bot (ejabberd component) for exchanging messages with
> > gmail users from our server.
>
> Is your bot a spam bot?
>
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2013-February/001571.html

If spam bot means one that sends too many invites, then I guess
no. My company provides chat widget to be embedded on our users'
websites and online stores. One needs to register into our
application first and only then they can trigger an invite to
their their own gmail address. Then they need to accept the
invitation so as to chat from gmail instead of having to log into
our application all the time.

We haven't observed any suspicious signup activity lately, so
spammy invites from our server looks unlikely. But I noticed
in-band registration mentioned in some of the replies there. We
are using IBR but I will think it's set to "allow from
localhost". Will confirm this ASAP and post a reply on that
thread.

Best regards,
Vineet

> > During integration, the component sends `subscribe` presence to the
> > gmail jids which the users need to accept. Since a few days back,
> > suddenly users have stopped receiving the chat invitations. Those
> > who have previously accepted invitations can however receive and
> > send messages.
>
> It's probable that your domain is being blocked by Google.
>
> http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/operators/2013-March/001608.html
>
> > Presence subscriptions were being received without any problem
> > before but not anymore.
> >
> > The ejabberd error log file has the following errors logged
> > multiple times
> >
> > I(<0.19390.5>:ejabberd_s2s_out:1203) : Trying to open s2s
> > connection: example.com -> gmail.com with TLS=true
> > I(<0.19390.5>:ejabberd_s2s_out:365) : Connection established:
> > example.com-> gmail.com with TLS=false
> > I(<0.19394.5>:ejabberd_s2s_out:443) : wait for validation:
> > example.com -> gmail.com (closed)
> > I(<0.19390.5>:ejabberd_s2s_out:892) : Closing connection with
> > gmail.com: timeout
> >
> > What might be going wrong?
> >
> > Really hope I get some help here.
>
> I suggest posting to the operators at xmpp.org list: