[ejabberd] unicode trouble with ejabberd_xmlrpc

Steven Lehrburger lehrburger at gmail.com
Wed May 29 10:42:23 MSK 2013

Hi,

I'm having trouble using unicode characters in roster item nicknames set
from Python using ejabberd_xmlrpc. Those nicknames work fine if I set them
from the command line using ejabberdctl add_rosteritem, but if
use add_rosteritem via xmlrpc, then the command returns as if it
succeeded... but the roster item is somehow corrupt. ejabberd throws errors
if I try to view the data using get_roster or the web admin interface, and
the user with the corrupt roster is also unable to log in.

I've tested this pretty thoroughly and documented it in the comments here:
https://gist.github.com/lehrblogger/5668256/ - I'm happy to format a
version to send to the list, but I'm not sure it would be legible and I
wanted to keep this short. I'm using the 2.1.x branch of both
http://github.com/processone/ejabberd and
http://github.com/processone/ejabberd-contrib with a nearly-default
ejabberd.cfg file on a fresh VM.

I know *much* more about character encoding than I did this afternoon, but
it's still possible I'm making a simple mistake somewhere. But, if not,
could there be a but in the ejabberd_xmlrpc module? I've looked at the
source, but haven't had any success figuring out what to patch.

Thanks!

Best,
Steven