[ejabberd] Make Hangout users appear offline instead of away

dev at jabber.fsinf.de dev at jabber.fsinf.de
Thu Oct 24 02:28:23 MSK 2013

Hi everyone!

Since Google has been migrating their users to Hangouts, my roster gets
clogged with people who are perpetually away with some
"MessagingXXXXXXXXX" resource. Messages sent to these people appear to get
lost (correct me if I'm wrong). To make things more complicated,
occasionally these people still log in using proper Jabber clients, so I
do not want to simply remove them from my roster. Rather, I want the
annoying Hangouts away presence dropped.

So: Is there some way to make ejabberd ignore/drop presences sent by
clients with a "MessagingXXXXXXXXX" resource (or whatever way to identify
the Hangouts "client" is better)? Or is there any other option to make
this less annoying?

Thanks in advance!