[ejabberd] Can't start ejabberd as demon

hensem hensem at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 06:20:12 MSK 2014

I am on Centos and install using binary installer.

>From http://www.process-one.net/docs/ejabberd/guide_en.html#htoc13 and

this is what I did:

1. add this in ejabberd.init

#!/bin/sh
#
# ejabberd	Startup script for the ejabberd XMPP Server
#
# chkconfig: - 99 10

# Source function library.
. /etc/init.d/functions

2. copy ejabberd.init to /etc/init.d/ejabberd

3. run these:
chmod +x /etc/init.d/ejabberd
useradd -c "Ejabberd User" -d/opt/ejabberd-14.07/ -g ejabberd -p ejabberd -r
ejabberd
chkconfig --add ejabberd
chkconfig ejabberd on

4. Restart system

After restart ejabberd is not running.

I tried to manually run it:
[root at damai bin]# /etc/init.d/ejabberd
/etc/init.d/ejabberd: line 29: $1: unbound variable

Looking at source code, I tried this:
[root at damai bin]# /etc/init.d/ejabberd start
Starting ejabberd...
This command can only be run by root or the user root

Then I tried to run this:
[root at damai bin]# service ejabberd start
Starting ejabberd...
This command can only be run by root or the user root

As you can, I'm already su to root. Both last 2 commands should be run.
Anyway, how do I make ejabberd run as service?

Thanks.

Any idea