[ejabberd] How to log into admin page

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 27 13:49:31 MSK 2014

On Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:08:00 -0500
"Yves S. Garret" <yoursurrogategod at gmail.com> wrote:

> How can I log into my admin ejabberd page?  Which file contains the
> password (or at least somewhere that I can change this)?

You log in into the ejabberd web interface using a regular user known
to ejabberd, using its bare JID and the matching password; for this to
succeed, that user must be listed in the "admin" access control list.

Say, if you have a user yves at domain.local, and it's added to the access
control list named "admin" in the ejabberd configuration file (or
through the web admin form or by using some other means), you navigate
to the web admin URL and when the authentication dialog pops up, you
enter here "yves at domain.local" in the "login" entry field and the
matching password in the password entry.

Note that there inherently exists a "chicken-and-egg" problem: to add
more admins via the web interface you have to already have at least one
of them.  So it's customary to first add at least one admin directly
into the ejabberd's configuration file to "bootstrap" the whole thing.
This admin is then able to log into the web interface and add other
admins there, if needed.