[ejabberd] some points last version

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Feb 5 01:27:13 MSK 2015

* ricky gutierrez <xserverlinux at gmail.com> [2015-02-04 16:07]:
> the new fashion is all in the mobiles :(

It takes some time until the changes necessary to make XMPP work well
with mobiles are implemented everywhere.  But I think the situation is
slowly getting better.

> > ejabberd can be configured to _resend_ unacknowledged messages instead
> > of generating error bounces by setting `resend_on_timeout: true` in the
> > `ejabberd_c2s` [listener configuration][2].  If no other client of the
> > recipient is online and [`mod_offline`][3] is enabled, they will end up
> > in offline storage.  But if another client _is_ online, that client will
> > receive those messages.  The problem is that the same client might've
> > _already_ received copies of those messages some minutes earlier (if
> > they were sent to the bare JID and he had the same priority as the
> > now-offline client, or if [carbon copies][4] were enabled).  Receiving
> > another copy of a bunch of messages is not what users would expect, so
> > this setting is only recommended to admins who _know_ their server is
> > not going to be used that way.
>
> let me know something, carbon copy enabled by default?

Carbon copy support is enabled if 'mod_carboncopy' is listed in the
'modules' section of your ejabberd.yml file.  It is _used_ only if a
client then actually requests carbon copies.

However, even without mod_carboncopy, ejabberd copies messages that were
sent to the recipient's bare JIDs to multiple clients if these clients
have the same (max.) priority.

> if you had this scenario in most of your users what would be your best
> configuration?

Personally, I use "resend_on_timeout: if_offline", and otherwise the
default settings.

> another question, ejabberd can announce when a user is initiating
> session

I'm not sure what you mean, here.

Holger