[ejabberd] Long living sessions in mod_muc

Mickaël Rémond mremond at process-one.net
Thu Feb 12 16:24:42 MSK 2015

Hello,

On 11 Feb 2015, santiago at etermax.com wrote:

> Hi, I want to implement a Whatsapp-like multi user chat. To do so, I
> need to fool ejabberd to never close the user session and therefore
> prevent him from leaving the room any time he disconnects.
>
> It would be easy to implement such functionality? My experience in
> Erlang is basic, but I thing I can manage it. It would be nice if
> someone could give me a hint on where to start. I'm looking inside
> mod_muc.erl and mod_muc_room.erl but I didn't find anything yet.

You have to do something very custom as XMPP protocol is not designed to
support this. This is not ejabberd nor Erlang problem.

As it is now, the MUC protocol rely on presence for join and
leave. There is discussion among specification designer to change that,
in what is codenamed "MUC 2", but there is still a long way to go.

Cheers,

--
Mickaël Rémond
 http://www.process-one.net/