[ejabberd] Nat ejabberd

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 3 01:48:46 MSK 2015

* ricky gutierrez <xserverlinux at gmail.com> [2014-12-30 21:50]:
> my firewall have a ip public , ejabberd server ip private.
>
> I redirection port from outside to inside and the connection works
> fine, ok chat, file transfer ok, the presence ok
>
> but no audio.

Clients usually try to establish a peer-to-peer connection for
audio/video streams.  Of course, this can easily fail when those clients
are behind NATs or packet filters.  Therefore, the clients are expected
to query a STUN server to figure out their public IP addresses.  They
can then try some tricks to traverse the NATs.  This might or might not
work, depending on the details of their NAT/firewall environments.  If
this fails, clients are expected to fall back to using TURN server that
relays the audio/video stream.

ejabberd provides built-in STUN and TURN servers, but you won't have fun
setting those up behind a NAT.  If you don't have a server with a public
IP address you could use for this purpose, you *might* get away by
configuring your clients to use some external STUN servers instead
(you'll find some if you search the web).

Good luck, Holger