[ejabberd] PEP Help

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 25 14:03:46 MSK 2015

* Muruga Prabu M <murugaprabum at gmail.com> [2015-06-25 10:37]:
> Holger Weiß <holger <at> zedat.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> > Except for requirement #4, yes (out of curiosity: Why is that so
> > important to you?).
>
> It is very important because I have almost 500 users in my roster
> (all of the contacts in my mobile phone). If I am going to receive
> the last published item of all 500 users every time I log in, that's
> lot of network traffic.

That's a lot indeed.  If you use metadata nodes à la XEP-0084¹, those
500 items will at least remain small in size (i.e., somewhat similar to
the 500 presence stanzas that you'll usually receive anyway).  I don't
see a better solution that doesn't involve a non-trivial ejabberd patch.

I hope you're using roster versioning², BTW? :-)

Holger

¹ http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0084.html
² http://docs.ejabberd.im/admin/guide/configuration/#modroster