[ejabberd] PEP Help

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Thu Jun 25 14:22:15 MSK 2015

* Muruga Prabu M <murugaprabum at gmail.com> [2015-06-25 11:13]:
> Holger Weiß <holger <at> zedat.fu-berlin.de> writes:
> > That's a lot indeed.  If you use metadata nodes à la XEP-0084¹, those
> > 500 items will at least remain small in size (i.e., somewhat similar to
> > the 500 presence stanzas that you'll usually receive anyway).  I don't
> > see a better solution that doesn't involve a non-trivial ejabberd patch.
>
> Receiving 500 presence stanzas is very rare. Take the example of WhatsApp.
> I have 500 contacts in it. The probability of all 500 contacts being online
> at the same time is very very rare.

I would've thought the mobiles of most users are almost always online
these days.  But this might not be true for everyone, of course.

> 1. Can I configure the pubsub#send_last_published_item to on_sub for PEP ?

Yes.

> > I hope you're using roster versioning², BTW?
>
> No, I am not using roster versioning.

Enabling/implementing that might be a nice little optimization,
especially for large rosters.

If you're concerned about traffic, another optimization that's
especially interesting for mobile devices is XEP-0352¹, by the way.  As
this can avoid waking up the radio for useless traffic, I think it's way
more effective than saving a few stanzas during login (where your radio
is activated anyway).

Holger

¹ <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0352.html>