[ejabberd] [ANN] ejabberd Community 15.03

Jérôme Sautret jerome.sautret at process-one.net
Fri Mar 20 19:09:13 MSK 2015

Hello,

ejabberd 15.03 is yet another important release. We have added bug
fixes and some major improvements.

You can learn more about the changes and roadmap by meeting part of
the team in upcoming ejabberd San Francisco Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/ejabberd-san-franscisco/events/220750021/

New features
------------

* Websocket

Websocket support is among the major new features introduced in this
release. You can write speedy XMPP web clients. This web support has
been tested on large deployments and is extremely fast, with very low
latency.

* Customizable session backends

We have introduced a new major feature to give more flexibility in the
way sessions are managed in ejabberd. In the past, session were
managed in Mnesia because it was the best compromise between speed,
latency and scalability. However, ejabberd is deployed on a large
variety of usage patterns and platform types and sizes. We thus have
decided to provide more flexibility to accommodate with various use
cases. For most deployments Mnesia is still the default choice and
best backend to store sessions. For corporate deployments that need to
get easy access to online users and status from other components, we
provide a SQL backend for live sessions storage. Finally, if you want
to avoid duplicating session across nodes to deploy a larger cluster,
you can store your session information in a central, fast, in-memory
backend like redis.

This improves scalability or flexibility depending on your platform type.

* Security improvement: SCRAM support for SQL authentication backend

If you use the default ejabberd SQL authentication backend, you can
now enable password encryption in the database using the standard
SCRAM approach. We also provide a tool to migrate your existing
authentication database to the new SCRAM secure scheme.

* Development community and Elixir improvements

ejabberd 15.03 is also the continuation of 15.02 in the way it
simplifies the development and management of contributed modules. The
community is growing with more code being contributed by third party
developers. You can already find many modules contributed by the
community. And now you can even install contributed modules without
having developer skills or module compilation.

Interest around ejabberd has been accelerating with the introduction
of Elixir. This release improves Elixir support. Moreover, you can now
write ejabberd tests in Elixir and they are ran transparently with the
rest of the test suite.

* Simple add cluster command

With our constant desire to simplify deployment we added a new
ejabberdctl command to add a node in a cluster in a single command.
Those who went to the process of setting up a cluster will certainly
love this new command:

ejabberdctl join_cluster ejabberd at existingnode

Changelog overview
------------------
As a summary, here is the high level changelog:

* Add support for WebSocket
* Flexible session management with multiple backends: Mnesia/SQL/Redis
or custom backend for session manager
* Security improvement with SCRAM based password encryption in SQL
authentication backends.
* Package management for ejabberd contributed modules
* Improved Elixir experience
* Automatic clustering scripts
* Added missing index on database
* Important updates on the documentation, with the launch of a new
documentation site: docs.ejabberd.im
* Several other bugfixes

MySQL database structure improvement
------------------------------------

We were missing an index on privacy list in the default MySQL schema.
The database schema has been updated.
If you want to apply the changes on a running instance, here is the
SQL command to issue:

CREATE INDEX i_privacy_list_data_id USING BTREE ON privacy_list_data(id);

Feedback
--------

As usual, the release is tagged in the Git source code repository on Github:
https://github.com/processone/ejabberd.git

The source package and binary installers are available at ProcessOne:
https://www.process-one.net/en/ejabberd/downloads/

If you suspect you found a bug, please search or fill a bug report on Github:
https://github.com/processone/ejabberd/issues