[ejabberd] Error when starting ejabberd Community 15.03

Peter Viskup skupko.sk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 16:01:59 MSK 2015

Had same issue during last upgrade two weeks before.
I upgraded from packages available on jabber.at Debian repo. First I did
backups of the Mnesia data files (do ODBC dump once some RDBMS used), then
upgrade ejabberd and start the new version and run the command from the
how-to [1], then stop ejabberd, save the newly generated config in the
expected location, restore the data backups and start the ejabberd server.

It will automagically convert the data structures to new format. That could
take a while (in our case - jabber.sk it took approx. 4-6 hours, the roster
DB was recreated during startup). Then you can expect some client
connection issues caused by PubSub. The simplest solution was to remove
"pubsub_node" data file and start the ejabberd (of course PubSub info were
lost).

Hope it helped a little.

[1] https://blog.process-one.net/switch-ejabberd-configuration-to-yaml/