[ejabberd] upgrading from 14.12 to 16.06 and db migration

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:17:21 MSK 2016

On 2 August 2016 at 18:37, Raoul Duke <rduke496 at gmail.com> wrote:
> when I am upgrading to 16.06 should I:
>
> a] just copy the entire (mnesia) database from 14.12 to the 16.06 install
> and hope that it works fine
> b] should I be more granular and only copy the offline message table

> I guess this is predicated on: is the database schema from 14.12 drop-in
> compatible with 16.06?

Quite probably there were database changes.

>   or is migration auto-handled?  or do I need to <do
> something manual> to deal with migration.

Changes in mnesia tables are handled by ejabberd.
Changes in SQL tables are documented in their *.sql files, and you
make them manually, read them for details.
Check also the release notes of all the intermediate versions, just in
case there was some other major change in the SQL databases or the
configuration.

In summary:
a), copy the mnesia spool files to the new deployment
Then read the *.sql file for any manual update, and also the release notes.
Finally start ejabberd and check the log files, it may mention some
mnesia table changes, or some error.

---
Badlop
ProcessOne