[ejabberd] [ANN] ejabberd 16.08

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Fri Aug 5 03:17:24 MSK 2016

On 04/08/16 15:27, Jérôme Sautret wrote:

> Welcome ejabberd summer release!
>
> This new release is the culmination of several months of work to
> improve your experience using ejabberd. It contains as usual a lot of
> small bug fixes and some enhancements. However, this version contains
> some new major features:
> - MUC/Sub
> - Major clean-up and improvement on OAuth ReST API
> - Database backend for OAuth tokens
> - Better support of Elixir modules
> - Full compatibility with Erlang 19
> - Modules loading in a dependent order
>
> The biggest improvement in ejabberd 16.08 is a new experimental
> feature in ejabberd that makes group conversations in XMPP work
> seamlessly with mobile clients: MUC/Sub.

Thank you for the hard work! I’ve been following the progress and
experimenting with packaging ejabberd as a Snap package. I don’t have
the snapcraft recipe completely automated yet - there is a small patch
to apply before creating the final package - but I have been able to
publish working versions of 16.06 and now 16.08 in the Ubuntu store
(16.08 hasn’t been promoted to the stable channel yet). I’d be great to
be able to get some feedback from users.

If you’re running Ubuntu 16.04 you probably already have |snapd|
installed, but there are instructions for Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo,
Ubuntu, OpenSuse and OpenEmbedded/Yocto at
http://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install. Then you can |sudo snap install
ejabberd| for 16.06, or |sudo snap install --candidate ejabberd| for
16.08. I haven’t compiled in all the features yet, but it is possible to
run a basic server.

I’d also like to get to the point of not needing the patch, so fully
automated builds can be possible. The sourcecode for the snap packaging
is on github
<https://github.com/jamestait/snappy-playpen/tree/ejabberd/ejabberd>.
The problem I’m having is the absolute paths in a couple of the scripts,
as you can see from the README.

Anyway, any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

JT

​

James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |        Tel: +44 (0)870 490 2407