[ejabberd] [ANN] ejabberd 16.08

James Tait james.tait at wyrddreams.org
Fri Aug 5 13:12:32 MSK 2016

On 05/08/16 08:29, Dominik George wrote:

> Hi James,
>
>> If you’re running Ubuntu 16.04 you probably already have |snapd|
>> installed, but there are instructions for Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo,
>> Ubuntu, OpenSuse and OpenEmbedded/Yocto at
>> http://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install. Then you can |sudo snap install
>> ejabberd| for 16.06, or |sudo snap install --candidate ejabberd| for
>> 16.08. I haven’t compiled in all the features yet, but it is possible
>> run a basic server.
> Sorry, but … Why?
>
> What I do is "apt install ejabberd" and then I have a working, current server. Same seems to go for other distributions.

|$ apt-cache policy ejabberd ejabberd: Installed: (none) Candidate:
16.01-2 Version table: 16.01-2 500 500
http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages |

So, not quite current, and increasingly outdated over time because new
versions aren’t backported. There’s the jabber.at PPA, which I’m
grateful for and so far continue to use, but I think that’s Ubuntu-only.

> There is absolutely no need for some new, unstable packaging.

Cross-distro packaging is a problem that’s been grappled with for years.
Flatpak, née xdg-app, is one solution that’s being developed. Snap
packages are another.

JT

​

James Tait, BSc                        |    xmpp:jayteeuk at wyrddreams.org
Programmer and Free Software advocate  |        Tel: +44 (0)870 490 2407