[ejabberd] [ANN] ejabberd 16.08

Philipp Huebner debalance at debian.org
Fri Aug 5 18:06:11 MSK 2016

Hi there.

Am 05.08.2016 um 12:12 schrieb James Tait:
> On 05/08/16 08:29, Dominik George wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>>
>>> If you’re running Ubuntu 16.04 you probably already have |snapd|
>>> installed, but there are instructions for Arch, Debian, Fedora, Gentoo,
>>> Ubuntu, OpenSuse and OpenEmbedded/Yocto at
>>> http://snapcraft.io/docs/core/install. Then you can |sudo snap install
>>> ejabberd| for 16.06, or |sudo snap install --candidate ejabberd| for
>>> 16.08. I haven’t compiled in all the features yet, but it is possible
>>> run a basic server.
>> Sorry, but … Why?
>>
>> What I do is "apt install ejabberd" and then I have a working, current server. Same seems to go for other distributions.
>
> |$ apt-cache policy ejabberd ejabberd: Installed: (none) Candidate:
> 16.01-2 Version table: 16.01-2 500 500
> http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages |
>
> So, not quite current, and increasingly outdated over time because new
> versions aren’t backported. There’s the jabber.at PPA, which I’m
> grateful for and so far continue to use, but I think that’s Ubuntu-only.

For Debian Stable there's an official Backports repository, usually I
manage to get the latest ejabberd release in there in a timely manner.

So as far as I'm concerned, there's no need for an ejabberd snappy app.

I assume it's similar for the other major linux distributions,
especially for releases that don't contain snapd yet.

Regards,
--
 .''`.   Philipp Huebner <debalance at debian.org>
: :'  :  pgp fp: 6719 25C5 B8CD E74A 5225  3DF9 E5CA 8C49 25E4 205F