[ejabberd] Slow PubSub Affiliation Change

Florian Sailer fs at sailer-interactive.com
Sat Aug 13 13:31:46 MSK 2016

I did some test by myself and figured out that a slow update query to
the table "pubsub_state" caused the delay. I set
"innodb_flush_log_at_trx_commit = 0" in mysqld.cnf which should be safe
in ehough in my case. The problem is gone now. So more a database issue
in this case.

Florian

On 12.08.2016 20:31, Florian Sailer wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i use the following stanza to change the affiliation of a user to a
> PubSub node:
>
> <iq from='admin at server.com' id=xxx' to='pubsub.server.com' type='set'
> xmlns='jabber:client'><pubsub
> xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#owner'><affiliations
> node='nodename'><affiliation affiliation='owner'
> jid='user at server.com/resource'/></affiliations></pubsub></iq>
>
> It takes about a second for ejabberd to return a result iq while all
> other PubSub operations (create, subscribe, publish) are blazing fast.
> This also leads to a very high system load if i run these operations
> in larger batches. Is there a reason why this operation is so slow? Do
> you have any hints how i could further investigate this issue? I run
> ejabberd 16.06 on Ubuntu 16.04 with MySQL database (for auth and
> pubsub). Thanks, Florian

Sailer Interactive | Florian Sailer
Nogatstraße 33-34  | fs at sailer-interactive.com
12051 Berlin       | 0176/21100752