[ejabberd] join_cluster no_ping error

Steven Livingstone steven at livz.org
Sun Feb 21 14:16:06 MSK 2016

Hi. I am trying to get clustering between two nodes (on version 16.01), I
have copied the cookie and both instances are able to start up.

However, when i try to run join_cluster I get the error message below. I
have tried every conceivable combination for the node name but get the same
error message. I have two nodes node0 and node1 and once ejabberd is
started up i see "Application ejabberd started on node node0 at xmpp" and
"Application ejabberd started on node node1 at xmpp" respectively in the logs.

root at xmpp:/opt/ejabberd# ejabberdctl join_cluster "node0 at xmpp"
Error: {no_ping,node0 at xmpp}

Before I start posting all the config and so on, are there some basics i am
missing - i followed the guide at [1].

thanks,
steven

[1] https://docs.ejabberd.im/admin/guide/clustering/