[ejabberd] User is assigned incorrect avatar (pubsub)

Pallissard, Matthew mpallissard at anl.gov
Tue Mar 1 19:39:33 MSK 2016

I've got an issue regarding pupsub avatars that I could use some help with.

I have two users Bob and Alice.  When Alice signs in, everyone sees Bob's avatar.  Alice has tried to upload her own avatar in an attempt to replace Bob's.  It didn't work.  Now, the strange part is the delayed delivery segment tacked on the the end of her XMPP stanza. This makes me wonder if this is some sort of client side subscription.

The other part of this is the date stamped on the delayed delivery segment.  That is several hours after we migrated to a new 15.10 server from the 2.1.13 Red Hat provided version.  That makes me wonder if this could be a server-side issue.

The configurations are identical apart from converting the configuration file to yaml.

Does anyone have any idea as to whether this is a client-side subscription issue or a server-side issue? Maybe a difference in XEP standard versions between 15.10 and the 2.1.13 RHEL provided version?

Any help or a nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the XMPP stanza;

<message from='alice at jabber.server' to='me at jabber.server/laptop' type='headline'>
 <event xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#event'>
  <items type='headline' node='urn:xmpp:avatar:metadata'>
   <item id='5c6215c38b153b81e9e015d6f8036de7277a0d4f'>
    <metadata xmlns='urn:xmpp:avatar:metadata'>
     <info id='5c6215c38b153b81e9e015d6f8036de7277a0d4f' type='image/png' bytes='13913' width='64' height='64'/>
    </metadata>
   </item>
  </items>
 </event>