[ejabberd] history from server

Holger Weiß holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Sun May 8 14:43:52 MSK 2016

* Ricky Gutierrez <xserverlinux at gmail.com> [2016-05-07 20:33]:
> Hi, it is possible that this question was asked many times, but here's
> a question I have and I want to solve, now I have a ejabberd 15.x
> server with 400 users, the client default use is Jitsi in its latest
> version, the problem is that some users to my server ejabberd from
> their homes and on their personal computers and there do not load the
> message history of the office are connected,

There's two XMPP extensions to implement multi-device synchronization
currently in use:

- XEP-0280 (Message Carbons) copies all incoming and outgoing messages
  to all clients that are currently online.

- XEP-0313 (Message Archive Management) lets clients retrieve any
  messages they missed (because they were offline) from server-side
  archives.

Recent ejabberd versions support both extensions if mod_carboncopy and
mod_mam are enabled, Jitsi supports only XEP-0280 (Message Carbons).

> looking for a solution some mention using MySQL odbc, but not a solution
> for me, if mysql use with ejabberd xmpp integration lose my asterisk
> server, I work very well with the native bd ejabberd and asterisk,
> restart the server now if history is lost.

You can configure mod_mam to use Mnesia or SQL storage.¹  SQL storage is
indeed recommended, and you could use that for mod_mam while sticking to
Mnesia for everything else.  But enabling mod_mam won't help unless the
client supports it.

Holger

¹ See <https://docs.ejabberd.im/admin/guide/configuration/#modmam>.