[ejabberd] https control

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Sat Apr 15 22:59:59 MSK 2017

[First, I should node that it has been years since I've done anything
with erlang.  To say I'm rusty would be excessively complimentary.]

I'm setting up a node which needs to delegate much of the control to a
remote site, with the interaction carried over https.

In particular, it needs to do these over https:

 accept messages for local accounts

 add/remove accounts and change account passwds

 send all messages from local account to the remote machine
 to decide what to do with them.

The first two seem to be covered by mod_rest (I'll put something like
nginx in front of the mod_rest listen(2)er to handle the tls).

And mod_post_log gives me a hint of how to plug into ejabberd, but what
do I need to do so that user_send_packet?

Reading ejabberd_c2s.erl, I can see that I need to return drop and a
status, and something else if the https link failed and it needs to
retry after some delay.  But I'm missing the details.

(I expect to hook user_send_packet rather than filter_packet because my
hook should run before any online/offline determination is done.)

Are the hooks documented somewhere?  The Events and Hooks link and the
IQ link:

  https://docs.ejabberd.im/developer/hooks/
  https://docs.ejabberd.im/developer/iq-handlers/

are both 404.