[ejabberd] Adding custom field to mod_vcard

Badlop badlop at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 10:35:18 MSK 2017

After quick thinking how to add new fields to the vcard, I see three ideas.

1. As you probably found, you have to add new fields, which implies
modifying source code and table schema, and then update the table you
already have (either some SQL sentence, or writting code for mnesia).

2. Reinterpret existing fields: some that you don't consider relevant,
rename them from the point of view of the users. This requires
changing the clients, and/or few source code changes (only the
labels), no table schema changes.

3. Use the existing DESC field to add your custom fields in a
plaintext format. Example:
<iq to='user1 at localhost/tka1'
  from='user1 at localhost'
  type='result'