[ejabberd] Cannot run ejabberdctl as root on 17.07

Marvin Gülker m-guelker at phoenixmail.de
Mon Jul 17 00:19:06 MSK 2017

Hi,

today I updated ejabberd from 17.04 straight to 17.07 (which by the way
was not announced on this mailinglist, only on the blog[1]) and now I'm
unable to run the `ejabberdctl' command as root.

I compiled ejabberd with the option `--enable-user=ejabberd', so I tried
to run the command as user `ejabberd', and that works. I'm puzzled by
that. Is this a bug?

Sample invocation:

    # ejabberdctl status
    ERROR: This command can only be run by root or the user ejabberd
    # whoami
    root

I *am* root. The very same command succeeds if run as user ejabberd:

    $ ejabberdctl status
    The node ejabberd at localhost is started with status: started
    ejabberd 17.07 is running in that node
    $ whoami
    ejabberd

Any hints are appreciated.