[ejabberd] remote-server-not-found, but DNS entry is there

Evgeny Khramtsov xramtsov at gmail.com
Fri Feb 2 20:07:48 MSK 2018

Fri, 2 Feb 2018 10:40:55 -0500
Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:

> On 02/02/18 10:16, Marvin Gülker wrote:
> > Am 02. Februar 2018 um 17:57 Uhr +0300 schrieb Evgeniy Khramtsov:
> >> You are using 2 years old version. In newer version (18.01 for
> >> example) error reporting is improved drastically. It will report
> >> about DNS timeouts for sure (I wrote that code)
>
> > 2 years isn't too much from a stable distro user's viewpoint,
> > though. But be affirmed, I won't go through Debian Stable's entire
> > lifetime and have my users wait for new features years and years.
> > Once a Debian release becomes stable, I usually upgrade within half
> > a year or so.
>
> This has always been the drawback of Debian just as it has with RHEL:
> The software may be stable, but it's *old*.  One of the things I find
> advantageous with Gentoo ius that I can decide on a package by package
> basis whether to run the "stable" version or a newer-but-"unstable"
> release.  Right now, Gentoo's "stable" ejabberd version is 16.09, but
> I am running "unstable" 17.04 with no issues.

Well, Marvin has a point: as a server admin he should not care a lot of
auxiliary software, so I absolutely can understand that he doesn't want
to fiddle with frequent updates. There is somewhat ejabberd's fault too:
upgrading to a new version is almost always an adventure. We're going
to address this problem by the way ;)