[ejabberd] Disabling mod_ping and instead using stream management and TCP keepalive

Gholamreza Sabery gr.sabery at gmail.com
Tue May 8 13:05:47 MSK 2018

I was wondering what happens if we totally disable mod_ping and
instead use XMPP
Stream Management <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0198.html> and TCP
Keep-Alive <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive> to detect whether a
client is still connected or not. Is it possible at all or it can cause
unexpected issues in large-scale?

*PS*: I my logs I noticed that 70% of all messages that Ejabberd receives
from clients are ping messages. Clients use this messages to check to see
whether their connection is still open or not. I thought the same could be
achieved by a combination of TCP Keep-Alive
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keepalive> (which keeps the connection open)
and XMPP Stream Management <https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0198.html>
which clients can use to see whether their messages is arrived or not.

ServerFault link:
https://serverfault.com/questions/911221/disabling-mod-ping-and-instead-using-stream-management-and-tcp-keepalive

Regards