[ejabberd] Implementing CAPTCHA

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Sun May 13 21:59:33 MSK 2018

On 05/13/18 12:16, Evgeny Khramtsov wrote:
> Sun, 13 May 2018 11:54:51 -0400
> Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:
>
>> I need to implement CAPTCHA for in-band registration on my ejabberd
>> server, due to a sudden flood of spam registrations.  However, I have
>> not been able to find any kind of guide to setting it up.  Does such a
>> document exist?
>>

> https://docs.ejabberd.im/admin/configuration/#captcha
> https://docs.ejabberd.im/admin/configuration/#mod-register

I've seen those, but I was hoping for something a little more detailed.

The default captcha script fails for me with the following errors:

minbar:root:~:4 # /usr/lib64/ejabberd-17.04/priv/bin/captcha.sh 123456 >
image.png
convert: delegate library support not built-in
'/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n019003l.pfb' (Freetype) @
warning/annotate.c/RenderFreetype/1841.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @
error/constitute.c/ReadImage/509.
convert: delegate library support not built-in
'/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n019003l.pfb' (Freetype) @
warning/annotate.c/RenderFreetype/1841.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @
error/constitute.c/ReadImage/509.
convert: delegate library support not built-in
'/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n019003l.pfb' (Freetype) @
warning/annotate.c/RenderFreetype/1841.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @
error/constitute.c/ReadImage/509.
convert: delegate library support not built-in
'/usr/share/fonts/urw-fonts/n019003l.pfb' (Freetype) @
warning/annotate.c/RenderFreetype/1841.
convert: no decode delegate for this image format `PNG' @
error/constitute.c/ReadImage/509.
convert: no encode delegate for this image format `XC' @
error/constitute.c/WriteImage/1171.

I see that convert is part of ImageMagick, so there may be an
ImageMagick configuration issue at work.  I'm trying to resolve that
right now but so far have not gotten it working.

I've also seen some mention online of using ReCAPTCHA, and that people
have successfully gotten it working, but nobody actually mentions how.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net