[ejabberd] systemd provides no sockets

Michael Vogel icarus at dabo.de
Wed Apr 10 23:39:36 MSK 2019

Hi!

I'm trying to install ejabberd 18.12 on Debian Stretch by using the
official backports.

When trying to start it, the system reports this:

-- Unit ejabberd.service has begun starting up.
epmd[14727]: epmd: Wed Apr 10 22:15:09 2019: systemd provides no sockets
systemd[1]: epmd.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: epmd.service: Unit entered failed Stretchstate.
systemd[1]: epmd.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.

What can be the source of the problem?

Michael

P.S.: I also tried to install the ejabberd that is provided with this
distribution. It couldn't start as well.