[ejabberd] Receiving messages on all connected clients

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Mon Jun 3 16:52:46 MSK 2019

On 6/3/19 3:21 AM, Evgeny wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 2, 2019 at 10:55 PM, Phil Stracchino <phils at caerllewys.net>
> wrote:
>> I just checked that, though I'm two major versions back.  I'm looking
>> through it now to see what I can and should enable.
>>

> That's not the problem, 18.12 supports all the features from Compliance
> Suite 2019.

Yeah, but I'm still on 17.05.  The Gentoo ebuild is kinda behind the curve.

>> Another issue that also just came up again — I am still unable to
>> get in-band registration CAPTCHAs to work.
>
> Describe the problem in details then.
>
>> Does the in-band registration CAPTCHA rely upon any of the mod_http_*
>> functionality?
>
> Well, the "CAPTCHA protocol" has an HTTP fallback mechanism for clients
> that don't support rendering it in-band. So you need to configure
> additional request handler. It's actually documented. Simply put, add
> `"/captcha": ejabberd_captcha` to `request_handlers` of `ejabberd_http`
> listener.
>
>> Most of my users are using pidgin, Xabber, or both.
>
> Pidgin is not a "modern" client at all: it's abandoned crap. Consider
> using Gajim or Dino (the problem with Dino though, is that you need to
> compile it from the master branch to get it usable).

So if I'm interpreting that right, the likely problem is that pidgin
doesn't support in-band CAPTCHA and I don't have the ejabberd_http
listener enabled.  Which gives me somewhere to start; thanks for the
information.

I can *try* to get my users to switch over to Gajim.  Multiplatform
support is an essential, but I see Gajim does have a Windows download
now.  I have a few Miranda users too.

Last time I used Gajim it was pretty rough and basic, but that was a
while ago and I imagine it's probably matured since.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net