[ejabberd] Seeking information for building a modular ansible role

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at crazy-compilers.com
Wed May 15 14:31:46 MSK 2019

Hello,

I'm working on a modular ansible role to be included in the debops role
collection (https://debops.org/). The idea is to allow the admin to
easily enable and disable features without in-deep knowledge of ejabberd
configuration. E.g. if an admin says: "I want muc, upload, but no
registration and no BOCH", the ansible role will create an appropriate
config file using reasonable defaults. This would enable more people to
run a xmpp server on their own.

I've searched the internet for examples and explanations already, but
did not find the answers for some of my questions. As you can see, I
have a lot :-)

Any answer is appreciated, also pointers to online documentation. thanks
in advance!

For the following questions, assume JID "user at my-club.org" shell be
server by a state-of-the-art XMPP server running on a system with FQDN
"some.server.net". DNS SRV records shall be set up as required.

Basic:

1) What are the features required to run a state-of-the-art XMPP server?
(E.g. Is file upload, pubsub, proxy65, muc, or bosh required,
recommended or optional?)

Hostnames and TLS certificates

2a) Regarding hostnames: Are different hostnames required for upload,
proxy, pubsub (as [1] sec. 3.3 shows), or can this be the same hostname
as the "base" XMPP server ("my-club.org")?

2b) If any, which of these hostnames are to be read or typed in be user
and which can be just meaningless (ajkdfha.my-club.org)

3a) Regarding TLS certificates: I assume the TLS certificates need to
cover all the hostnames 8as in question 2). Is this correct?

3b) Let's assume I have a SRV record for "my-club.org" pointing to "...
some.server.net". Does the certificate need to include "my-club.org" or
"some.server.net" or both?

Configuration:

4) Which are the modules to be activated for a state-of-the-art XMPP server?

5) If you have a basic XMPP server, what has to be changed/added in
configuration options to activate for each of  muc, in-band
registration, registration via web, file upload, pubsub, proxy65, muc,
bosh, etc. I need this information to allow enabling or disable features
as described at the top of this posting.

DNS:

6a) Regarding DNS: Which SRV records are required to be set up? I
assume  {_xmpp,_xmpps}.{_client,_server}.my-club.org.

6b) Are there any SRV records required for other hostnames (according to
in question 2)? Of course A/AAAA/CNAME records need to be defined for
all of theses hostnames.

Again: Any answer is appreciated, also pointers to online documentation.
thanks in advance!

[1]
https://www.kuketz-blog.de/ejabberd-installation-und-betrieb-eines-xmpp-servers/

--