[ejabberd] Handling Groups

Jai Rangi jprangi at didforsale.com
Mon Oct 21 16:50:17 MSK 2019

Thank you for the suggestions, I will try these and report back.

Jai

On Mon, Oct 21, 2019 at 2:55 AM Holger Weiß <holger at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
wrote:

> * Jai Rangi <jprangi at gmail.com> [2019-10-20 14:10]:
> > Working on a mobile chat application using xmpp-framwork. Having a little
> > issue with group, using mod_muc for that.
>
> The MUC extension was created before mobile was a thing, so some things
> will feel a bit weirdo.  But you should be able build modern group chat
> functionality using MUC.  See, for example, how the Android client
> Conversations¹ implements it.  (There's a replacement called MIX in the
> works, which tries to address these issues.  ejabberd has initial
> support, but the spec isn't finalized so it's not quite production-ready
> yet.)
>
> ¹ https://github.com/siacs/Conversations
>
> > Issues I am running into is?
> > - Have to send presence before we send the message.
>
> One wouldn't design things this way today, but this as such shouldn't be
> a problem for you?
>
> > - History size is default 20 messages. If the user is offline and if
> there
> > are more than 20 messages, user miss the messages older than 20.
> > - Every time user send presence, server send last 20 messages, even if
> the
> > user already has received those messages.
>
> See https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#enter-managehistory for
> how to tell the server to not send any history (maxstanzas='0'), and
> rely on MAM.
>
> > Messages dont get stored in MySql Table
>
> For MUC, MAM is enabled on a per-room basis.  To have it enabled by
> default for newly created rooms, use this setting from the example
> configuration:
>

> https://github.com/processone/ejabberd/blob/19.09/ejabberd.yml.example#L175-L176
>
> >     default_room_options: {allow_subscription: true, mam: true,
> > members_only: true, persistent: false}
>
> Your syntax looks wrong.
>
> The tricky part on iOS will be push notifications for MUC messages, as
> the room will only send messages to participants that are currently
> present in the room.  The possible solutions depend on (whether and) how
> you implement push notifications in general.
>
> Holger

*Jai Rangi*
Cebod Technologies LLC dba DIDforSale/Cebod Telecom
O 949-471-0102 | C 949-419-7634 <1-949-419-7634> | F 949-269-0449 /
949-232-1410 | jprangi at didforsale.com  www.didforsale.com |2472 Chambers Rd
Ste 100, Tustin, CA 92780