[Tkabber-dev] Issue 2 in tclgpg: tclgpg can't work with gpg using agent

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Thu Nov 5 16:40:51 MSK 2009

Owner: ----
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium

New issue 2 by me.dendik: tclgpg can't work with gpg using agent
http://code.google.com/p/tclgpg/issues/detail?id=2

tclgpg is usually not aware of agent presence/absence. If
passphrase-callback is not set, is invokes something like this for gpg:

echo hello | /usr/bin/gpg --status-fd 2 --no-textmode --armor --no-tty
--quiet --output - --charset utf-8 --detach-sign -u ... --

(I omitted my key id and added --status-fd 2 to see what gets parsed by
ParseGPG and fed hello explicitly on input. The rest is exact copypaste
from debug output).

Some versions of gpg (I tested 1.4.9 and 1.4.10) reply then thus, if the
agent is present:

[GNUPG:] USERID_HINT ...
[GNUPG:] NEED_PASSPHRASE ...
[GNUPG:] GOOD_PASSPHRASE
[GNUPG:] BEGIN_SIGNING
[GNUPG:] SIG_CREATED ...

ParseGPG aborts then parsing gpg output completely upon seeing
"NEED_PASSPHRASE", which is then followed by "GOOD_PASSPHRASE".

This renders tkabber's gpg unusable with such versions of gpg if
GPG_AGENT_INFO is set.

Thanks,
-- Danya.