[Tkabber] Re: Multiple Accounts in a Single Session

Josiah Ritchie jritchie at bible.edu
Wed Apr 30 09:40:36 MSD 2003

Sorry to reply to all your messages in one email, but as I get the digest it
seemed like more work than it was worth to split it.  I did cut unnecessary
info though.

I guess the consensus is that if can't be done, but is on the list.  I'm a
little disappointed.  Does anyone have any idea when this feature might be
integrated?

>Today's Topics:
>
>   2. Re: Multiple Accounts in a Single Session (Jamin W. Collins)
>   3. Re: Multiple Accounts in a Single Session (Jacek Konieczny)
>   4. Re: Multiple Accounts in a Single Session (Jamin W. Collins)
>
>Message: 2
>From: "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins at asgardsrealm.net>
>
>Psi can do this.
I know :-), see below.

>> I've tried a number of things in my config file, but have been unable
>> to manage it so far. Am I missing something or is it just not
>> possible.  I'm using PSI for this now, but it seems to have issues
>
>Not that this is the list for it, but what "issues"?  I currently use Psi
>to connect to multiple servers.

I think it is related to my firewall, the internal network server works
beautifully, but the other two often won't connect.  I have the same issue, but
worse, with GAIM.  I haven't seen it with tkabber when running a single login on
an external server.

>> I like the flexibility of tkabber, except this one point so far.
>
>I've asked about this functionality in the past.  At that time it was
>inidcated that it's not high on the priority list.

Thanks.

>This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
>of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar

:-) So do I need to string a pager into tkabber to handle this?  ;-)

>Message: 3
>From: Jacek Konieczny <jajcus at bnet.pl>
>
>On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 04:24:14PM -0400, Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>You can start multiple tkabbers. Just don't allow them to auto-login
>into the same account.

That's an interesting solution, but seems very bulky if I can get around it with
another client in a single session (PSI or GAIM).

>I have following piece of code in my config.tcl, which makes the command
>"tkabber localhost" start tkabber using "localhost" profile instead of the
>default one. I can choose any other profile the same way.
>
>if { $argc == 0 } {
>        array set loginconf [array get loginconf1]
>        set autologin 1
>} else {
>        set n 1
>        while {[info exists loginconf$n]} {incr n}
>        incr n -1
>        for {set i 1} {$i <= $n} {incr i} {
>                if {[info exists loginconf${i}(profile)]} {
>                        if {[set loginconf${i}(profile)] == $argv} {
>                                array set loginconf [array get loginconf${i}]
>                                set autologin 1
>                        }
>                }
>        }
>}
>
>Maybe this could be written much simpler, but it is the first time I
>wrote anything in Tcl.

Thanks, maybe I can put that to use if I decide to run multiple instances of
tkabber in the end.

>Message: 4
>From: "Jamin W. Collins" <jcollins at asgardsrealm.net>
>> > I'd like to be able to use multiple accounts at the same time a
>> > single session.
>>
>> What do you mean as single session?
>
>Like this:
>   http://asgardsrealm.net/~jcollins/psi-shot.jpg

Exactly (btw, I thought the smudged look was rather funny. (-; )

>Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
>you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar

Somebody needs to fill Lindows in on that loaded gun thing. :-)

Thanks all,
JSR/