[Tkabber] unicode

Alexey Shchepin tkabber@jabber.ru
14 Mar 2003 20:55:39 +0200

Hello, Pawel!

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 14:28:22 +0100, you said:

 >> First check your locale, it must be something like pl_PL.ISO8859-2.  If
 >> this not helps, then check X events that sended to applications when you
 >> trying to enter polish characters (run "xev" and look to it output when you
 >> press these characters).

 PK> Every my locales are set to pl_PL.

"pl_PL" or "pl_PL.ISO8859-2"?

 PK> It works for most applications like i.e. Sylpheed.

Most applications use one-byte codepages and one-byte fonts, which is not hard.
But support of unicode cause one problem: XmbLookupString (function from Xlib)
returns string in current locale, so Tcl/Tk translate it in UCS-2 encoding by
also looking to current locale.  So if you have "pl_PL" locale, then these
steps will work wrong, because Xlib and Tcl will think that you have ascii or
iso8859-1 (not sure which one of these), which not contains polish characters.
Also it not work if your X localization is setuped wrong, this is why I suggest
to check this in "xev" -- you must see that applications get polish characters
keysyms, e.g. "eogonek" (not "EuroSign" or something like this).