[Tkabber] aliases - bug? and possibly feature request.

Arkadiusz Podgórski wodzu at sail-ho.pl
Wed Nov 12 16:08:19 MSK 2003

hello!

i've just switched to tkabber and now i have to say i'm impressed. very
nice tool. i noticed it has aliases - i always missed it... ;-) of
course, i've tried to use it immediately. and this is i think about:
it's quite useful, but not perfect. when do we find aliases useful? if
one buddy uses more than one im protocol or if we use transports like
sms. but in both cases these contacts are the same one people, so we
would like to use it like one contact.

it would be useful if aliases work in this way: there should be
displayed the first active contact from alias list on the roster. why
not main? look (it's from my real roster):
    set roster::aliases(XXXXXXX at gg.jabberpl.org) \
        { YYYYY at icq.jabberpl.org "+48ZZZZZZZ at sms.jabber.bnet.pl" }

displaying main contact (gg here) is misleading because sms transport is
always active. it causes this contact always active too. it's bad, 'cos
it lies. if the first active contact is displayed, we know, what we see.
if the contacts are named: x-gg, x-icq, x-sms, then we can be sure what
protocol we are using. look: this man has cell-phone, at home uses icq
but newer logs out, and at work uses gg (such a polish im). if gg
displays only when is active, i can write to him being sure he read it
immediately - not after returning home. if only sms is visible or icq is
away - he's probably offline and the only way to catch him is a
cellphone.

by the way: i'm afraid i found a bug (v. 0.9.5beta): an alias displays
inactive if any protocol is broken (disconnected) - when icq transport
don't work (it used to), this contact is inactive. when i toggle ,,use
aliases'' the sms contact displays in active mode.

that's one. the other idea is one (common) history for all aliased
together contacts - look all these contacts are the same man. we talk
(ok, tap) to one man and i think the history should be one too - mixed.
it would be nice, by the way, if it is visible which contact talks.

am i right, or heretic? is it really needed as i think? and, of course,
is it possible to do without rewriting all the code? and maybe it is
possible already but i didn't find it? i use tkabber since yesterday
only so everything is possible... ;-)

--
nie moge dojsc, jak oni uzywaja wielkich liter.